Pippa is still on the table getting work done to her, but I’m hoping to start cutting into the lining this week. In the meantime, I need a black dress. I have a couple, but they are both sleeveless, and it’s getting c-c-c-cold here these days! I had ordered the Paris dress from StyleArc last month, and I decided that would make a good version.
I made a muslin today. There are a few things I plan to change. First, I may size down on the shoulder pads. My shoulders fill out the muslin pretty well. I may even be able to get by with just sleeve heads.
I need to shorten the darts by a couple of inches. As they are right now, they’re all, “Hi, I’m Ann and these are my breasts. How do you like me so far?” Though you know, looking at the line drawing and the pattern illustration, it looks like that may be intentional. I’ll have to shoot an email to Chloe and ask. I also will add some waistline darts in the front. Without them, this gets a little baggy around my middle.
The back is actually pretty good. I don’t need a swayback adjustment, and it fits great through the upper back.
The pattern recommends using woven fabrics, but I think I’ll use a wool double knit that’s been in my stash for ages. I may even forgo the lining with the knit, though I’ll probably line the sleeves. Hopefully I’ll have time to sew it up this week. I’ve been spending the last week cleaning out headers and old swatches that are all sold out on Gorgeous Fabrics. My old voice teacher, Janet, used to call that “dog’s body work” and boy, does that ever describe it! Tedium in the extreme. The good thing is that I have a lot more room now that I’ve pulled them. I also have a bunch of sample lengths that I’ll probably put up for sale this week. All proceeds will go to the Winchester Hospital Breast Care Center, so keep an eye out here for those.
More later. Meanwhile…