Phyllis and I spent the day working on some projects. She’s working on the muslin for a shirt. I made great progress, with her help, on the Dress Form Double. We padded out my form, and most of it is done. Phyllis already talked about this on her blog, but it bears repeating: this project is a two-person, 30-to-40 hour project.
Here’s the general order of construction when you get to the padding stage:
- Measure at 2-inch intervals, using the caliper method described in Kenneth King’s article.
- Apply fusible batting, using silk organza* as a press cloth
- Put outer shell over the dress form and check padding
- Repeat, ad nauseum
*You need a lot of organza. It gets gummed up with the resin from the batting after a few passes with the iron. We went through at least a yard. And poly organza won’t cut it. You really need silk.
We spent our time on the upper chest and bust, since that is the most complex part to build out. I took some pictures but something happened with my phone and it didn’t save them. Boo, hiss. Here are the three I did manage to save. I’ll ask Phyllis to send me the others and I’ll post them later.
We added more padding, and what you can’t see here is that we used raglan shoulder pads to create the “breasts”. We covered those with fusible batting. We had to do some creative padding to match the – um – vagaries of my particular figure. But by the end of the day, we had a pretty close approximation. I’ll spend tomorrow padding out the rest of the waist (sigh…) and the hips. More later…