Ballroom, that is. You might recall that I made another dress for Tatiana. It turned out fine, until… (cue the “Duh duh DAAAAAAAH music)
She and all her students switched from American Smooth to International Standard style.
So what does that mean? It means I have to change up the dress pretty significantly. I’ve taken the cowl off, added godets to give it more flare and I’m going to add a petticoat with a little tulle and some horsehair braid to give it a little more volume at the bottom. Then I’m going to add some floats on the sleeves. There’s a big competition in two weekends (the Commonwealth Classic) and DS the younger will be dancing in all 10 styles (5 Standard, 5 Latin). I’ll post pictures as it comes along. In the meantime, I took a video of the two of them at his lesson two weeks ago. It’s amazing how much he’s grown in the last year.
For comparison, this was taken at last year’s Commonwealth Classic:
I also just bought a pair of patterns for ballroom dance dresses from an Etsy vendor. I admit, I’m tired of trying to re-draft dress or skating patterns to work for ballgowns. I hope they’ll save me some time. I’ll let you know how they are when I get them.