I suppose one good thing about this pandemic is that it's pushing me out of my workday wheelhouse of jeans and knit tops. I got a hankering to make myself something easy and comfortable this week. We've been suffering through a heat wave, and I wanted something I could just pull on and go. Generally, I'm not a huge jumpsuit gal, having lived through them in the 80s, but I had New Look 6554 in my pattern stash and decided it would do nicely.
The pattern reads, "These Misses' easy jumpsuits and dresses feature a faux-wrap design with a tie at the waist. Jumpsuits feature a slightly flared leg, and dresses can be made in long or short length to fit your style."
I would add that this is a pull-on dress or jumpsuit with elastic waist and short, cut-on sleeves.
The pattern comes in sizes 6-18. I made a size 12. This pattern runs large. I could have gone down to a size 10 with no ill effects, maybe even an 8. Also, the torso is pretty long as drafted. It's supposed to be slightly blouson, but I think many of us could take out about an inch of length and still have plenty of room for blousing. I was pleased that I didn't need an FBA. The bodice has plenty of coverage for larger bustlines.
I used I Heart This NY Designer Rayon Jersey - Pinks on Black. There is one piece left, if you're interested. (as of July 29).
I used 1/4 inch elastic at the waist.
Changes I Made/Construction Notes
I think the pattern as it stands is cute, but I wanted a 4-inch inseam shorts jumpsuit for summer. I cut off the legs 5 1/4 inches below the crotch line and used a 1 1/4 inch hem.
I sewed this primarily on my serger, using my sewing machine for the waistline seam. I did things differently from their instructions. I skipped the bias tape at the neckline (WHY do the "Big 4" insist on using bias tape neckline finishes on knits? I'm asking this quite seriously - it's a throwback to the 1970s and should be replaced with modern methods) and instead turned the neckline seam allowance down and used my coverstitch to finish it. I also used the coverstitch to hem the sleeves and shorts.
The entire endeavor took me about 2 hours from cutting to finish.
Overall, I really like this pattern. Check the fit and length of the bodice before you permanently sew it to the pants - you might want to shorten the length. But other than that, it's a cute pattern that sews up readily. I could see this as a really cute beach cover up in a lightweight knit.
And check it out - I actually took a picture of myself in it today. It's too hot to wear makeup.